ENDS FEBRUARY 28, 2020
ENDS MARCH 27, 2020
ENDS APRIL 17, 2020
ENDS MAY 8, 2020
JULY 17, 2020
AUGUST 7, 2020
AUGUST 28, 2020
SEPTEMBER 25, 2020
Competition Add Ons
WELCOME TO THE LAUNCH PAD PILOT COMPETITION!
Launch Pad Competitions have led to more signings, success stories and careers than any other screenwriting competition.
With more than 450 writers signed, 165 projects set up, 70 writers staffed and 180 appearances on annual best-of lists, The Launch Pad Competition has firmly established itself as the premier hub for Hollywood to discover fresh voices, new ideas, and talented writers.
We advocate for all of our Top 100 finalists, working with them to develop compelling bios and loglines, and sharing their work with the right industry members to advance their career.
A CLOSER LOOK AT OUR JURY
This year’s jury includes industry professionals from such prestigious companies as:
- Circle of Confusion
- Zero Gravity Management
- Silent R Management
- The Kaplan Stahler Agency
- Energy Entertainment
- Lit Entertainment
Click over to our jury tab to learn more!
MENTORSHIP PROGRAM – ADD ON
The best way to learn is by working with experienced writers who have already navigated that path to success. That is exactly what the Launch Pad exclusive mentorship opportunity is setup to do. This year’s mentors are:
Ahmadu Garba placed as a finalist in the 2015 Launch Pad Feature competition with his script AUGUSTUS. Since then, he has kept his success rolling by serving as writer on numerous series such as HAPPY! on Syfy, THE SINNER on USA, and the upcoming adaptation of the podcast DR. DEATH. In addition, he co-wrote the indie Drama/Musical SHINE and he recently sold futuristic drama series NIGERIA 2099 to AMC.
Kendra Chanae Chapman
Kendra Chanae Chapman is a writer and producer who was most recently a story editor on EMERGENCE for ABC. She was also a staff writer on DESIGNATED SURVIVOR for Netflix. Prior to that, Kendra developed and executive produced AVANT-GUARDIANS, a 7-episode web series that was awarded Best Drama/Dramedy Short Form at the New York Television Festival and featured at the American Black Film Festival and LA Film Festival 2018. Kendra is also producing a short film, 19 WEEKS, with Cinestar and producer Liz Destro (CAKE, THE BUTLER, SMILF).
Sylvia L. Jones
After traveling the country to cover the 2016 presidential primary elections for ABC7Chicago, long-time journalist Sylvia L. Jones decided to leverage her comprehensive knowledge of the city’s politics to help launch Showtime’s THE CHI and USA’s SUITS spinoff, PEARSON. She then wrote for season two of the CBS All Access thriller, TELL ME A STORY. Sylvia most recently wrapped as a writer on Ava DuVernay’s new anthology series, CHERISH THE DAY for OWN TV. Sylvia also developed and wrote the upcoming feature biopic, THE CLARK SISTERS: FIRST LADIES OF GOSPEL about the legendary gospel singers, with Queen Latifah, Missy Elliott, and Mary J. Blige as executive producers on the project.
GUARANTEED OPTION – ADD ON
This year’s guaranteed option partner is Bad Idea, the production company behind the Netflix series EL CHAPO and TIJUANA as well as the films THE BAD GUYS starring Glen Powell and Mekenna Melvin, and DEADTECTIVES starring Chris Genre and Martha Higareda. Bad Idea will offer a paid option to one project from this year’s competition.
GUARANTEED SIGNING – ADD ON
Joining as a guaranteed signing partner this year is Artillery Creative, a management company which has signed multiple writers out of the Launch Pad Competitions in previous years, and set up Launch Pad projects at Paramount, NBC, UCP, HBO and CBS. Artillery Creative will sign at least one writer from this year’s competition.
The guaranteed option, guaranteed signing, and three mentor partner(s) will each select a minimum of 1 project each from this year’s competition to win their prize. To be eligible, entrants MUST select the “Guaranteed Option”, “Guaranteed Signing”, and/or “Mentorship” add-on at the time of entry.
If you select any add-ons at the time of entry, regardless of where you place in the competition, you will still be in the running for those add-on features.
In the same spirit as our mentorship program and our commitment to helping writers improve, we are thrilled to offer our Feedback Notes Program to provide 1-2 pages of in-depth notes on your competition entry. Select the notes at checkout to get insight on the story, characters, writing and marketability of your script.
The 2020 Launch Pad Pilot Competition Prizes
The Launch Pad Competition is focused on identifying, discovering and helping launch the careers of our writers. Whether you make the Top 100 or win it all in any of our competitions, we work with you to help polish your work, prepare for meetings, craft your pitch, identify your follow up projects, and prepare yourself for anything that comes your way on the journey to becoming a professional writer.
(As a reminder, if you select any add-ons at time of entry, regardless of where you place in the competition, you will still be in the running for those add-on features.)
Circle of Confusion
State Street Pictures
Silent R Management
Woolf + Lapin
Kaplan Stahler Agency
Zero Gravity Management
- All scripts MUST BE submitted as a PDF.
- All pilot scripts must be under 70 pages (any script with more than 70 pages will be charged an additional $1 per page)
- Do not submit any form of pitch document with your pilot script.
- Scripts with multiple writers are allowed (however, all entry fees must be paid under one account and all prizes to be shared among writing partners).
- All scripts must be the sole property of the writer(s).
- Pilots with a prior option are allowed, but at the time of submission and for the duration of the contest, must remain exclusively the writer’s property.
- The only scripts not allowed to be entered are those which have already sold, have previously earned our “TB Recommends” honors, or received a top 100 placement in a previous Launch Pad competition.
- LaunchPad uses Coverfly to manage our submissions and reads. Updated drafts accepted through the Coverfly website only.
- The Launch Pad and all judges/readers will utilize whatever criteria they deem appropriate in deciding a winner.
- All scripts will remain the property of the writer(s) throughout the contest (at no point will anyone from the judge’s panel, or Launch Pad ever attach themselves to your work without your consent).
- Entrants may be contacted as a result of the contest by Launch Pad, the judging panel or other industry professionals in regards to representation, production, sale and/or option of the entered work.
- Entrants are under no obligation to sell their work or otherwise attach themselves to representation in any form – this includes the guaranteed option and guaranteed signing add ons
- General script entries will not receive feedback, however, you can opt to upgrade and receive feedback on your script submission.
- The contest is open to entrants 18 or older. It is an international contest and open to entrants worldwide.
- The Launch Pad reserves the right, at our sole discretion, to change or modify these terms at any time without notice.
- By entering this competition, you agree to receive periodic emails from The Launch Pad and The Tracking Board. You may unsubscribe to these at any time.
- All entrants understand and agree to allow Launch Pad to post details on their script (title, writers name, logline, genre, and competition details) as well as regarding the writer (biography, picture) to their site, or sister site to help promote the entrants’ work.
- All purchases and submissions are final. No refunds will be issued.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- You agree to release and hold harmless LaunchPad, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising, or promoting the competition, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s entry, participation in the competition and/or acceptance or use or misuse of prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the LaunchPad and its sponsors, agents, and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the competition and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize.