ENDS MAY 8, 2020
ENDS JUNE 12, 2020
ENDS JULY 10, 2020
ENDS AUGUST 14, 2020
NOVEMBER 19, 2020
DECEMBER 10, 2020
JANUARY 7, 2021
JANUARY 28, 2021
Competition Add Ons
WELCOME TO THE LAUNCH PAD FEATURE COMPETITION!
The Launch Pad Competitions have led to more signings, success stories and careers than any other screenwriting competition. With nearly a decade of experience in promoting up-and-coming writers, The Launch Pad Competition has firmly established itself as the premier hub for Hollywood to discover fresh voices and new ideas. We advocate for all of our Top 100 finalists, working with them to develop compelling bios and loglines, and sharing their work with the right industry members to advance their career.
Our prestigious juries of industry members include managers, agents, producers and executives at companies across Hollywood. We also offer exclusive partnerships with management and production companies to give writers an extra leg up. Through these partnerships, as well as our exclusive mentorship opportunities, we seek to provide as many avenues towards success as possible. No competition will do more to help all of their finalists take the next steps in their careers, and no competition has had as much success in helping writers break into the industry. Enter now for a chance to join this tradition of Launch Pad success.
A CLOSER LOOK AT OUR JURY
This year’s jury includes industry professionals from such prestigious companies as:
- Bellevue Productions
- Mandeville Films
- Scott Free
- Vertigo Entertainment
Click over to our jury tab to learn more!
MENTORSHIP PROGRAM – ADD ON
The best way to learn is by working with experienced writers who have already navigated that path to success. That is exactly what the Launch Pad exclusive mentorship opportunity is setup to do. This year’s mentors are:
Barbara Stepansky is a WGA Award winner, a Nicholl Fellow and an award-winning independent film director. Her work was short listed for the Academy Awards, garnered the DGA Diversity Award, the Student Emmy and was featured on the Black List. She is the recipient of the Mary Pickford Foundation Scholarship and the Franklin J. Schaffner AFI Fellow Award. FLINT, a film she wrote about the Flint Water Crisis for Sony/Lifetime with Queen Latifah, was nominated for a Critics Choice and won a WGA Award. She currently writes on the Starz TV Show OUTLANDER.
The only writer to appear twice on Tracking Board’s 2019 Hit List, Colin has also featured on the Young & Hungry and Black Lists. He set up HOLDOUT at Netflix with producer Ridley Scott, VIGILANCE at Justin Lin’s Perfect Storm, and his 2019 spec FIRST ASCENT sold to Netflix in a bidding war for Ridley Scott to produce and Jake Scott to direct.
Lamar Woods is a comedic writer/performer hailing from Atlanta, Ga. Lamar made a name for himself writing for his youtube channel, Northside Comedy, accumulating over 1.4 million views online. Lamar has also been hired to write and produce online videos for content creators such as Funny or Die, Comedy Central, and All Def Digital. You also can see Lamar performing with his all black, all male, improv/sketch team called White Women. Lamar has been staffed on such shows as Starz’ SURVIVOR’S REMORSE as well as Fox’s NEW GIRL and ABC’s SINGLE PARENTS. He also co-wrote and starred in the indie comedy IT’S A PARTY, starring Ego Nowdim and Tone Bell.
Recently named to both the Hit List and Young & Hungry List for 2019, Leon’s action script SHADOW FORCE sold to Lionsgate with Kerry Washington and Sterling K. Brown attached to star and produce. He was staffed on the upcoming Netflix drama series SPINNING OUT from Safehouse Pictures. Previously, he’d set up projects with No Label Productions and Great Lake Pictures, took the top spot in the WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Contest, and participated in the CBS Entertainment Diversity Sketch Comedy Showcase.
GUARANTEED OPTION – ADD ON
This year’s Guaranteed Option partner is Romark Entertainment, who have set up multiple Launch Pad scripts around town, including MARIAN at Sony and Pascal Pictures and JUST. ONE. KISS. at Netflix. They have signed dozens of Launch Pad writers across the Feature, Pilot and Manuscript Competitions and is currently developing the Launch Pad projects KILL CREEK with Scott Derrickson at Showtime, and MR. & MRS. AMERICAN PIE with Laura Dern at Platform One.
GUARANTEED SIGNING – ADD ON
This year’s Guaranteed Signing Partner as Adrian Garcia of Recon Literary. A former talent agent at Paradigm, Adrian Garcia went on to found his management company Recon Literary. Garcia has frequently had writers appear on the Hit List, Black List and/or Young & Hungry List, and has a proven track record of signing Launch Pad writers, including Eric Koenig who sold his Launch Pad winning script MATRIARCH to Paramount in a bidding war.
The guaranteed option, guaranteed signing, and four mentor partner(s) will each select a minimum of 1 project each from this year’s competition to win their prize. To be eligible, entrants MUST select the “Guaranteed Option”, “Guaranteed Signing”, and/or “Mentorship” add-on at the time of entry.
If you select any add-ons at the time of entry, regardless of where you place in the competition, you will still be in the running for those add-on features.
In the same spirit as our mentorship program and our commitment to helping writers improve, we are thrilled to offer our Feedback Notes Program to provide 1-2 pages of in-depth notes on your competition entry. Select the notes at checkout to get insight on the story, characters, writing and marketability of your script.
The 2020 Launch Pad Feature Competition Prizes
The Launch Pad Competition is focused on identifying, discovering and helping launch the careers of our writers. Whether you make the quarter-finalists or win it all in any of our competitions, we work with you to help polish your work, prepare for meetings, craft you pitch, identify your follow up projects, and prepare yourself for anything that comes your way on the journey to becoming a professional writer.
(As a reminder, if you select any add-ons at time of entry, regardless of where you place in the competition, you will still be in the running for those add-on features.)
Lit Entertainment Group – Manager
Prime Universe Films – Producer/Executive
Recon Literary – Manager
Pannon Entertainment – Manager
Vertigo Entertainment – Producer/Executive
Energy Entertainment – Manager
UTA – Agent
Verve – Agent
Empirical Evidence – Manager
Alibi Entertainment – Manager
Bad Idea – Producer/Executive
Bellevue Productions – Manager
Fourth Wall Management – Manager
Verve – Agent
Mandeville Films – Producer/Executive
Weed Road Pictures – Producer/Executive
Scott Free – Producer/Executive
Romark Entertainment – Manager
Good Fear Content – Manager
Artillery Creative – Manager
Kaplan Stahler Agency – Agent
- All scripts MUST BE submitted as a PDF.
- All feature scripts must be under 120 pages (any script with more than 120 pages will be charged an additional $1 per page)
- Do not submit any form of pitch document with your feature script.
- Scripts with multiple writers are allowed (however, all entry fees must be paid under one account and all prizes to be shared among writing partners).
- All scripts must be the sole property of the writer(s).
- Features with a prior option are allowed, but at the time of submission and for the duration of the contest, must remain exclusively the writer’s property.
- The only scripts not allowed to be entered are those which have already sold, have previously earned our “TB Recommends” honors, or received a top 100 placement in a previous Launch Pad competition.
- The Launch Pad uses Coverfly to manage our submissions and reads. Updated drafts accepted through the Coverfly website only.
- The Launch Pad and all judges/readers will utilize whatever criteria they deem appropriate in deciding a winner.
- All scripts will remain the property of the writer(s) throughout the contest (at no point will anyone from the judge’s panel, or Launch Pad ever attach themselves to your work without your consent).
- Entrants may be contacted as a result of the contest by Launch Pad, the judging panel or other industry professionals in regards to representation, production, sale and/or option of the entered work.
- Entrants are under no obligation to sell their work or otherwise attach themselves to representation in any form – this includes the guaranteed option and guaranteed signing add ons
- General script entries will not receive feedback, however, you can opt to upgrade and receive feedback on your script submission.
- The contest is open to entrants 18 or older. It is an international contest and open to entrants worldwide.
- The Launch Pad reserves the right, at our sole discretion, to change or modify these terms at any time without notice.
- By entering this competition, you agree to receive periodic emails from The Launch Pad and The Tracking Board. You may unsubscribe to these at any time.
- All entrants understand and agree to allow Launch Pad to post details on their script (title, writer’s name, logline, genre, and competition details) as well as regarding the writer (biography, picture) to their site, or sister site to help promote the entrants’ work.
- All purchases and submissions are final. No refunds will be issued.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- You agree to release and hold harmless LaunchPad, its subsidiary, parent and affiliated companies, prize contributors, judges, readers, sponsors, and any other organizations responsible for administering, advertising, or promoting the competition, and every one of their respective members, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) past and present from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to damages and negligence to property and persons, including but not limited to invasion of privacy, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, copyright, infringement of trademark or other intellectual property rights relating to a participant’s entry, participation in the competition and/or acceptance or use or misuse of prize; provided however, that such release will not apply to any commercial exploitation of the script by a Released Party in violation of your rights under applicable copyright law; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the LaunchPad and its sponsors, agents, and employees from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to an entrant’s participation in the competition and/or entrant’s use or misuse of Prize.
Initial reads will be completed by professional industry readers, after which point our internal team of readers will read all promising submissions to allow for extensive internal discussions over the relative merits and weaknesses of each project. Through internal conferences, we narrow down a list of 100 finalists. At this point, writers may be asked to submit supplemental information (a brief bio, a bible for their tv pilot, etc.) to assist in the decision making process.
Further rounds of internal reading and discussion, as well as consultations with our signing and option partners, narrows the finalists down to 10, at which point our panel of industry judges read each script and provide feedback which determines each of our winners.
Any entrant may be deemed ineligible at the sole discretion of Launch Pad. We reserve the right to amend these rules at any time.